(Nicosia, 04/09/12) The Cyprus Community Media Centre (CCMC), the first intercommunal media organisation in Cyprus, is launching its first Incentive Awards for Media Collaboration. The Incentive Awards aims to promote professional collaboration between the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot media and encourage the emergence of a public media space for common use for all Cypriots:
“The Awards aim to bring together media from across the island in a professional working environment” says Michalis Simopoulos, who coordinated the Collaborative Media Initiative project at CCMC. “Our work has highlighted that there is little interaction at the institutional level between media outlets across the divide, and lack of structures for media professionals to exchange information and produce joint content. We aim to overcome these challenges by providing support and incentives to encourage media professionals to work together and produce independent journalistic research and reporting.”
CCMC is inviting proposals to be submitted for Incentive Awards in the following categories:
- Institutional Collaboration: which establish partnerships between media outlets across the divide.
- Television Production: for the coproduction of public service announcements and other short-length co-productions on issues of relevance to all Cypriots.
- Radio Production: for radio stations and radio journalists to produce audio programmes on five assigned thematic areas.
- Print Journalism: print article proposals that will facilitate investigative reporting and research.
- Online Media: for the creation of web-based forums for information exchange and the sharing of opinions across the divide.
Interested applicants are encouraged to read the Terms and Conditions here and submit an Expression of Interest form available here. The total budget earmarked for the Incentive Awards amounts to €15,000. Applications may be submitted in English, Greek or Turkish and the deadline for submission of the EOI forms is 30 September 2012, at 11:59pm. All media products should subsequently be completed by 1 March 2013.
The Incentive Awards for Media is part of the MultiCommMedia project supported by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Action for Cooperation and Trust (ACT) in Cyprus and implemented by the Cyprus Community Media Centre.